Thursday, February 28, 2013

India day 5

No pictures today because we really don't have the time, but I thought I'd write a couple quick thoughts from the day:

This morning 5 of us had the chance to spend some time at an elementary school in Calcutta - and it was something I will definitely remember.  This particular school was full of children from the "slums".  These kids have absolutely nothing - in fact most come from situations that would disgust us as Americans.  These are children that have no hope of a future w/out an education.  What was neat to see was that all of these kids were "sponsored children", which means someone who doesn't know them is paying for their education, basic nutrition, and healthcare for about $1/day.  We had the chance to interact w/ these kids, take their pictures (which they love), and even help teach them a lesson.  All 7 grades were located in the same classroom and the students would sit in their own little section w/ their class and teacher.  They were learning English and math while we were there.  I did get some fun pictures that I'll share later if I get the chance.

We also had the chance this afternoon to visit the Sisters of Charity - the place where Mother Theresa lived.  There was nothing special about the building and not that much to see, which is how I think she would want it.  I have heard the stories about this amazing women, but there was something special about being in the same building where she lived for many years.  I am challenged by the incredible compassion and love that she showed to some of the most lowly, hurting people in the world.  What a legacy she left.

Tomorrow is our last day of work at the hospital.  Please continue to pray for us, as some are dealing w/ some stomach issues and it's making is difficult for the group.

Thanks!
Kyle

2 comments:

  1. Wow...to all of it. I take so much for granted with living where I live. It's stories like yours that I appreciate as they remind me of life that goes on that I can barely imagine. Prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for all of you! Continue doing Gods work! Thank you for sharing your expirence and pictures..loving it all. The kids like hearing what's going on and helps them to understand poverty and our mission in life...to raise godly children who will do great and mighty things!!

    ReplyDelete