Saturday, March 19, 2011

Do you see her?

I was very moved this week by a story of out Luke 7.

This woman, who is probably a prostitute, shows up at this religious guy named Simon's house.  Jesus is there having a meal with other religious men, and this "notorious sinner" walks through the door and throws herself weeping at Jesus feet.  Simon is appalled that she would do this, that she would dare even walk into his home uninvited, and such a sinner.

She's broken, she's hurting, I'm sure she has baggage from her lifestyle.  And she's weeping at the feet of Jesus.

Verse 44 really hit me hard:  Then turning toward the woman he (Jesus) said to Simon, "Do you see this woman?"


Such a simple question.  This religious man saw a notorious sinner, a prostitute.  Jesus saw a broken, hurting, lost woman crying out for help.  "Do you even see her Simon?  Do you even see that she's there?  Do you see that she's a real person?  Do you know that she's a child of God?"


How easy it gets for us to not see the people that God cares so much about.  How do I view the people walking out of the bar?  What do I think when I see the single mom who can't control her kids at Wal-mart?  What thoughts go through my head when I see a business man driving a $50,000 car, talking on his cell phone?

God help me to see people the way that you do

No comments:

Post a Comment