Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Are we missing it?

As I study the New Testament, I can't help but feel like the American church doesn't quite line up w/ what I read.  We are so rich.  If your family makes $40,000 a year, you are in the richest 2% of the world.  So many children will go to bed tonight without eating, and we're eating twice as much as we need.  The amount of money that American's spend on ice cream in a year, is enough to meet the basic needs (food, water, basic sanitation) for the rest of our world.  And I could go on.

What do we do with scripture like this:
1 John 3:17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?.... Let us love with actions and in truth


1 Tim 6:9 People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction

1 Tim 6:17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant or to put their hope in wealth..... command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share

Luke 18:25 How hard is it for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!  Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle

I get the idea that the "American Dream" isn't much what God had in mind

I'm not saying that we need to sell everything and live in a shed, but you can't win an argument that this is right and that we have "worked hard" and deserve what we have.

Sometimes I wonder what God thinks when He looks down and sees 6% of the world's population using 40% of it's resourses, and 1.1 billion people in our world that don't have access to even clean water to drink.  I think this troubles Him and it should trouble me.

God show me what to do

No comments:

Post a Comment