Friday, January 7, 2011

Too easy

A while back, the commercials for "Cheetos" always ended with this stupid tiger saying, "It ain't easy, being cheezy".  For some reason this got me thinking.


It's not hard for me to follow Christ and this concerns me.  When I look at the Biblical model of what being a Christan should look like, it ain't easy.  In fact it's interesting to look at some of the things that Jesus says.  Sometimes it seems like he's actually trying to convince people not to follow him.  Check out the end of Luke chapter 9.
57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.” 58 And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.” 59 To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” 60 And Jesus said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” 61 Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” 62 Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”


And this isn't the only example:
Luke 14:26-27 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.


And what about how Jesus responds to the young rich guy who simply asks how to get to heaven:
Mark 10:21 And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”


Just repeating a prayer after the pastor to get "saved" just doesn't seem to cut it.


If it's easy to be a Christian, then I would question whether we are really doing this right.

1 comment:

  1. This is extremely challenging. I read what you're saying and it is very obvious that you are right on all acounts, but it is completely opposite to what the world we live in has taught me my whole life. I'm pretty sure that I give of what I have a lot more than the average person and would even go so far as to say that I have a giving heart, but I know that there is so much more that i could give... for a price.

    ReplyDelete