Friday, June 10, 2011

Africa day 5 - Heading north!

This morning we headed even farther north - almost to the border.  I was told that only 2-3 cars a week travel on the road we were on.

As we were driving through one of the small villages, we saw a woman drawing water from a well.  She was using a long rope with a rubber bucket on the end - and filling up her container (which she carries on her head).  I had her pose for me:


We then went and visited an elementary school - the kids are so much fun!  I was quite the distraction from their class and I'm not so sure the teachers were as happy that I was there.

The school had 3 classrooms - each with over 50 kids, 1 teacher, and not many places to sit.  Most of the kids were sitting or even laying on the floor with their paper and pencil.  Just about all of them were barefoot.  Of course I took some pictures:

The school:
One of the classes:


Trying to learn:


Very distracted by the white man:



Education plays such a huge part in the future success of these kids.  Many children do not have the opportunity to go to school - and this just feeds the cycle of poverty.  But even in those who do go, it is very difficult to actually learn.  Huge class sizes, only a few teachers, and no class supplies (not even desks!).  I loved the kids but this was hard for me to see.


The main purpose of our trip today was to find a couple of the girls who had graduated from "Lifeline" (if you don't know what that is check out the previous blogs from this trip).

We wanted to see how they were doing and attempt to judge the success of the program over a length of time.  We found 2 of the girls and spent some time speaking with them. I'll share with you one of their stories:

This is Grace - she is from a rural village in Northern Ghana.  When she was 15 years old her parents sent her to the city of Accra to buy some textbooks and earn a little money working.  She found herself 15 years old, homeless, and alone living in the parking lot at Tema Station (see previous blog).  She was cleaning dishes at a restaurant for $1 a day.

She ended up in the Lifeline program where she learned how to sew.  She is now 19 and living in her village - in the process of setting up her new dress making business.

It was incredible sitting with her and hearing her story.  I can't imagine being in her shoes and hopefully she is a success story.


Finally late afternoon we went to a small pond where there are crocodiles!  The animals were wild but you pay to go - and they lure the crocs onto dry land.  These things freak me out!

I still have both arms and both legs:



Tomorrow morning we fly back to Accra - I'm speaking in a church on Sunday, which I'm told has about 500 people who attend their Sunday morning service.  I will be speaking through an interpreter, which is always an interesting experience.

Then Sunday afternoon I will be Skyping during the Sunday morning service at RLC (my church in Sauk Centre)!  I'm excited to see how this works!

Thanks for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment