Monday, June 13, 2011

Africa day 8 - a moment that topped them all

We talked to a family today and it completely broke my heart.

We walked up to the house (if you call it that) and there were kids everywhere!  Here's the place:

10 total and 1 more on the way, all living in a place smaller than my hotel room.  Their were 9 children, a single mom, and an elderly grandmother.

We asked the mother why the kids weren't in school, her reply - she couldn't come up with the $1.50 registration fee.

I've got to do this quick so I'm going bullet style:
- a year ago their father died
- 6 months ago the mother was raped and she is now pregnant again (with child 10)
- they had a small bowl of yuka for the entire family to eat

Here's a picture I took of the mother, grandmother, and a few of the kids:

But I've seen all that before.

Then we saw the sick kid.  A 6 year old boy, who looked horrible.  He had cloudy, yellow eyes and was the only kid in the entire group that I never saw smile.  This kid will be dead or blind if he doesn't get some help.

Immediately we told her that he needed to see a doctor - but she didn't have any money.  How many times has my life, or my kids lives been saved simply because we had the right medical care.  Kids are dying of a fever - kids are dying of diarrhea, kids are having convulsions because they can't get the simple medicine they need to survive.  I've heard this all before - but today I saw it.

We gave them $20 to get some help but Kwame thought they would probably buy food.

I took his picture

No comments:

Post a Comment