Sunday, June 12, 2011

Africa day 7 - Church in Accra!

This morning I had the chance to speak at "Liberty Centre A/G" in Accra - and when I say "this morning" I really mean it!

The service started at 7am but they told me to come at 7:30 (quite weird).  When I showed up the music was rocking!  LOUD worship and the people were dancing all over the place.  Everybody in the church knew I was there, not just because I was the only white person in the building, but because I was also the only one standing still - I thought about getting my groove on, but I don't think they would have wanted to see me dance.

This was definitely a wealthier side of Ghana than I have seen. The people were all very nicely dressed and the building was nice.  The church had about 700 people (most of which showed up an hour or so late).

Service started at 7am - I got the microphone at about 8:30, spoke for 30 minutes, and the service finally wrapped up at 10.  Then they go to Sunday School!

My message went well, but the African people don't understand my humor - which led to a few awkward moments.  The overall response was great and the people were very welcoming and excited to have me there.

Here's a couple pictures from my junky, little camera:

The church sign as we drove up:


The building:



The worship team (the woman in the white was a dancer):



Preaching with my interpreter - it's very difficult to get in the "flow" of speaking, constantly having to pause after every sentence.  But overall I thought it went great:




This afternoon I had the chance to "Skype" with my church back home.  It was so good to hear some of their voices and get the chance to share for a few minutes.  I'm having a life changing time here in Ghana, but I definitely miss my family, my church, and home in general.

Tomorrow we are heading west to visit a small fishing village and a few other places.  I can't believe I've already been here a week!

Thanks for your prayers - I feel much better today!

No comments:

Post a Comment