Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Africa day 9 - Reflection

Being alone for the evenings and nights has given me a lot of time to think.  Some days have effected me more than others, and I've found myself quite emotional as I sit in my hotel room more than once.

The children are what get me the most - poverty is all they know.  Many kids don't know their birthday, and some don't even know what it feels like to really have a full stomach.  They're sleeping on the floor and literally dying from fevers and diarrhea.  I fill up with tears when I look at their pictures.

I've seen so much poverty, so many helpless people, so many hopeless people - and it has nothing to do with them sitting on the couch, unwilling to work, and everything to do with the hand they have been dealt.

So many teenage girls living alone on the streets, so many children getting sick because of a simple lack of sanitation.  So many people who are so desperate, so hurting, and so lost.

It's overwhelming.

And I can't solve the problem.  I can't fix things.  In fact I can't even make a dent.

But I can make a contribution.  I can do something.  I can make it better for someone, or some family, or some village.  And doing nothing is not an option.  I can no longer ignore what God has shown me and what I've seen first hand.

I have a plan for my family and for my church.  And you'll have to be there this Sunday, or watch it online to hear about it.

Thanks for following me on this trip and on this journey as I try to figure out what God expects from me, and what I can do to make a difference for lost, broken, and hurting people.

I'll see you at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment