Friday, June 24, 2011

Project Langbansi

Throughout the trip I was seeking God for direction specifically in what we can do to help.  I was overwhelmed by what I saw and it changed me forever - and something needed to be done.  For me it is not about giving a one time gift of $20 to a local charity but a life change and a call to generosity.  My sacrificial giving changes the lives of the people I'm helping, but also changes my heart.

Though there are many things that can be done, I found that one of the best ways to attack the issue of poverty is through education.  I saw firsthand the difference between the educated and the illiterate - and children who don't attend school have very little chance of escaping their $1/day life.  The well known child sponsorship organization Compassion International wrote in a blog this morning:  "The best way to get a better-paying job and end poverty is by being well prepared with education."  If done correctly, education is a powerful tool that can be used to fight the war on poverty.

What I saw in the most poverty stricken areas of Africa was a very low percentage of the children attended school, and those that did found themselves in school's that were less than acceptable.  One particular school I visited was started by the small Assembly of God church in the village of Langbansi.  There were 402 students, 6 teachers, no desks, and no books.  The children were laying on the floor to write - and the teachers were struggling to accomplish anything.  While I visited this school, God broke my heart and I found a place where we can literally change the lives and the future of these children.



Over the next 3 years, River of Life Church will be partnering with the Assembly of God Relief and Development program to change the lives of the people in the village of Langbansi.  We will do this by providing the basic needs of the school.

Our 3 year goal is to increase the overall percentage of children attending school by targeting the most vulnerable families in this village, and also to increasing the overall quality of their education by providing desks, books, bathroom facilities, and teacher training.

Changing the lives of one village, one family, one child......

If you would like to help and give to "Project Langbansi" you can contact River of Life Church at 320.352.2315.

No comments:

Post a Comment